UV rays and eye health
We have known for a long time that ultraviolet rays are harmful to health. One wears a hat or cap and regularly applies sunscreen to protect from the sun, but what about our eyes?
The effects of ultraviolet rays on your eyes
Sun protection is increasingly important these days and protecting your eyes is also paramount. Ultraviolet light is invisible to the eye but not without danger. Overexposure to ultraviolet rays can therefore cause serious eye problems such as cataracts, age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and lesions of the retina that can lead to blindness.
It is obvious that everyone should protect their eyes, but children need special attention. Before age 10, the lens is still transparent and does not block UV rays as would that of an adult. This is why it is important that children, from an early age, wear good sunglasses. Do not hesitate to go to an Opto-Reseau clinic with your child. There are several models of sunglasses that will fit the face of the child and their personality. The elderly are also more likely to be affected by ultraviolet rays especially if they have already been operated for cataracts.
Choosing the right sunglasses
Here are some important tips for choosing sunglasses with maximum protection:
- Make sure your sunglasses have 100% UV protection, against both UVA and UVB rays.
- For sports, go for polycarbonate lenses for their lightness and shock resistance.
- Try polarized lenses. They have the ability to reduce glare caused by reflection. They are by far the best choice for driving and outdoor activities such as fishing, cycling, jogging or boating.
- Choose a design that you like and that will be comfortable for a long time. Do not hesitate to have your sunglasses adjusted by your Opto-Reseau eyecare professiona. A well-adjusted frame will always be more comfortable so you will not tend to remove it after a while.
- Dare to try frames with large lenses or larger branches. They will protect you better from ultraviolet rays than smaller frames.
- Different shades of sun lenses are available. Choose the color that will provide better protection according to your activities and your lifestyle. Do you work on the road? Are you a golf, cycling or gardening enthusiast? Talk to your Opto-Reseau eyecare professional, he will advise you according to your needs.
- Your eye care professional is the best person to advise you when the time comes to buy sunglasses. This will ensure they have the necessary level of protection and that your glasses are of good quality.
- UV rays